For my painting with light assignment I was paired with Adam, Josephine and Zach. I thought we all worked together pretty well. We drove out to big tree and decided to light the tree there. We spent a lot of time positioning the camera, figuring out what gels to use, what power to put the strobes on, and where to position the strobes.
We decided to use all the strobes on full power. The two strobes that lit the front and trunk of the tree used orange gels. Zach and Josephine flashed those. Then the strobe in the back we decided to not put a strobe on it so it could be more powerful and the light could be differentiated. I did the strobe in the back. It helped a little bit, but if it was more powerful it would have looked better and been more rim lighting rather than just a faint backlight. We positioned the back strobe carefully by making sure the tree was directly in between the camera and me so you couldn’t see the flash popping in the image. We used a flashlight with a green gel to light the ground in front of the tree. We were out there for around 3 hours and had a couple problems with people driving by, which we ended up liking and using in the final image. In the end I was content with how our final image looked. We used around a 9 minute exposure to get the lighting correct. I really liked the project but since the tree was so big it was tricky to light. In the future I’d like to experiment more with light painting and get better at it.